我只代表自己
I speak for myself.
在我的推波助澜下 我们步入了缓慢、反复
I was an accomplice to a slow and repeated and unacknowledged
不自觉、不加修正的一系列失职
and unamended train wreck of failures
落到如斯田地
that have brought us to now.
在我的引领下 新闻业误报选举结果
I'm a leader in an industry that miscalled election results,
散播"恐"慌 挑拨争端
hyped up terror scares, ginned up controversy,
却对国家面对的巨变 避而不报
and failed to report on tectonic shifts in our country.
忽视了金融体系的崩溃
From the collapse of the financial system
忽视了我们的真实力量
to the truths about how strong we are
更忽视了 我们真正面临的危险
to the dangers we actually face.
在我的引领下 新闻业
I'm a leader in an industry that misdirected
[哈里·胡迪尼: 史上最伟大的魔术师]
利用魔术戏法 误导公众视线
your attention with the dexterity of Harry Houdini
未尽职调查 便将数十万
while sending hundreds of thousands of our bravest
英勇的年轻人 推上了战场
young men and women off to war without due diligence.
失职的原因显而易见
The reason we failed isn't a mystery.
一味追求收视率
We took a dive for the ratings.
大众传媒发展初期
In the infancy of mass communications,
新闻界的哥伦布和麦哲伦
the Columbus and Magellan of broadcast journalism,
威廉·佩里和大卫·沙诺夫
William Paley and David Sarnoff,
分别为CBS之父和美国广播通讯业之父
直入华盛顿 跟国会谈判
went down to Washington to cut a deal with Congress.
国会同意让羽翼未丰的广播电视网