[Verlaine]: I can't leave Mathilde at the moment. She's not very well.
[魏尔伦]:我现在不能离开玛蒂尔达。她身体不大好。
[Rimbaud]: I'm not surprised if you keep setting fire to her.
要是你还放火烧她她当然不会好。
[Verlaine]: I haven't set fire to her since Thursday.
[魏尔伦]:星期四后我就没再烧过她
[laugh]
[Verlaine]: No, it's not very funny.
[魏尔伦]:这可不怎么好笑。
[laugh]
[Rimbaud]: It's pathetic. Your acts of violence are always curiously disgusting.
[兰波]:真可悲。你的怪异暴行令人厌恶。
[Verlaine]: What do you mean?
[魏尔伦]:什么意思?
[Rimbaud]: They're not clean. You're always in some sort of a drunken stupor. Then you start to apologize
and ...groveling.
[兰波]:不干不净。你总是醉得恍恍惚惚。事后开始道歉乞怜。
[Verlaine]: I don't like hurting people.
[魏尔伦]:我并不喜欢伤害人。
[Rimbaud]: Then don't. But if you do, do it coolly. Don't insult your victims by feeling sorry afterwards.
[兰波]:那就别做。要做就硬下心肠做。别用道歉来悔辱受伤者。
[Verlaine]: I love her, you see.
[魏尔伦]:我爱她,你知道的。
[Rimbaud]: You can't possibly.
[兰波]:不可能的。
[Verlaine]: I love her body.
[魏尔伦]:我爱她的肉体。
[Rimbaud]: There are other bodies.
[兰波]:肉体有的是。
[Verlaine]: No, I love Mathilde's body.
[魏尔伦]:不,我爱玛蒂尔达的肉体。
[Rimbaud]: But not her soul?
[兰波]:不爱她的灵魂?
[Verlaine]: I think it's less important to love the soul than to love the body. After all, the soul may be
immortal. We have plenty of time for the soul. But flesh ...rots. It's my love of flesh which keeps me
faithful.
[魏尔伦]:爱灵魂没有爱肉体重要。灵魂不灭,有足够时间去爱。但躯体,会腐烂。对肉体的爱使我忠贞。
[Rimbaud]: Faithful? What do you mean?
[兰波]:忠贞?什么意思?
[Verlaine]: I'm faithful to all my lovers, because once I love them, I will always love them. And when I'm
alone in the evening, or in the early morning, I close my eyes, and I celebrate them all.
[魏尔伦]:我忠于所有的爱人,因为我一旦爱过她们,就会永远爱她们。不管我是夜间独处,或是在茫茫清晨,闭上眼睛,我赞美她们每个人。
[Rimbaud]: That's not faithfulness. That's nostalgia. If you don't want to leave Mathilde, it's not because you're faithful. It's because you're weak.
[兰波]:那不是忠贞,是怀旧。你并非忠贞才不想离开她,你是软弱。
[Verlaine]: If strength involves brutality, I prefer to be weak.
[魏尔伦]:若力量带来野蛮,我宁可软弱。
[Rimbaud]: With you, weakness involves brutality as well, doesn't it? Don't expect me to be faithful to you.
[兰波]:但你的软弱也同样带着野蛮,不是吗。别指望我忠于你。
[Verlaine]: Why are you so harsh with me?
[魏尔伦]:你为何对我这么苛刻?
[Rimbaud]: Because you need it.
[兰波]:因为你贱。
[Verlaine]: Isn't it enough for you to know that I love you more than I've ever loved anyone and that I will always love you?
[魏尔伦]:你要知道,我从未像这么爱你般爱过别人,而且我会永远爱你。
[Rimbaud]: Shut up, you sniveling drunk.
[兰波]:住嘴,你这烂酒鬼。
[Verlaine]: Tell me that you love me.
[魏尔伦]:跟我说你爱我。
[Rimbaud]: For God's sake!
[兰波]:天呐…
[Verlaine]: Please. Please, It's important. ……Just say it !
[魏尔伦]:求求你。这对我很重要。……你说呀!
[Rimbaud]: You know I'm very fond of you. ...Do you love me?
[兰波]:你知道我很喜欢你。……你爱我吗?
[Verlaine]: What?
[魏尔伦]:什么?
[Rimbaud]: Do you love me?
[兰波]:你爱我吗?
[Verlaine]: Yes.
[魏尔伦]:爱。
[Rimbaud]: Then put your hands on the table.
[兰波]:那就把你的手放在桌子上。
[Verlaine]: What?
[魏尔伦]:什么?
[Rimbaud]: Put your hand on the table. Palm upwards.
[兰波]:把手放到桌子上。手掌向上。
[Rimbaud]: The only unbearable thing is that nothing is unbearable.
[兰波]:唯一不可忍受之事,就是事事皆可忍受。